New Member Information
OCSTC Your Connection to Success as a Technical Communicator
Whether you're starting or changing your career or want to give your current career in technical communication a boost, the key to your success is people. A supportive group of professionals can provide you with a chance to learn, information about job opportunities, and assistance in your job search. The Society for Technical Communication (STC) is an exciting organization, with one of the nation’s most dynamic chapters (OCSTC) right here in Orange County.
What Is STC?
STC is a professional organization dedicated to advancing the arts and sciences of technical communication. Currently, more than 14,000 people worldwide from the many fields of technical communication enjoy the benefits of membership.
Benefits of OCSTC Membership for Technical Communicators
Membership in STC provides technical communicators with many opportunities, one of which is to become a part of the Orange County Chapter. OCSTC offers many strategic benefits to enhance your career.
- Chapter Web Site—The chapter Web site is continually updated with events, news, training opportunities,
- online periodicals, related links, and job announcements.
- OCSTC Job Listings—OCSTC posts open job notices on the chapter Web site. The list is updated continually as notices are received.
- OCSTC Member Résumés—OCSTC members can post their résumé and a short profile on the chapter Web site for viewing by prospective employers.
- Ongoing Seminars and Training in Leading Tools and Technologies—OCSTC offers seminars and training programs for leading tools, technologies, and methods associated with technical communication. Our Web site and newsletter, the TechniScribe, list all such opportunities.
- Innovative Publications—With STC membership, you have access to these innovative and insightful publications:
- Intercom: STC’s magazine contains timely professional articles as well as Society news 10 times a year.
- Technical Communication: STC’s highly acclaimed, quarterly journal publishes thought-provoking research articles on subjects of interest to technical communicators in all fields.
- TechniScribe: OCSTC offers its own award-winning newsletter, published 11 times a year, with articles and opportunities related to Orange County.
- Student Discounts—OCSTC offers discounts for student members who participate in events sponsored by the chapter.
- Conferences—STC members receive special offers and reduced pricing for STC society and regional conferences including STC’s Annual Conference, the world’s largest gathering of technical communicators.
For more inforamtion about the benefits of STC membership, visit STC's Join or Renew page.
Visit www.stc.org/join to complete a membership application. Select the options that are most useful to you. Be sure to include membership in the Orange County chapter as one of your options.
Visiting a Chapter Meeting
OCSTC hosts monthly meetings throughout the year, usually on the third Tuesday of each month. These meetings are open to both STC members and nonmembers. Meetings feature dinner, dessert, and guest speakers who address topics pertaining to working in the field of technical communication. These meetings are a great way to learn about tools, trends, and technologies, and to network with other technical communicators.
To learn about and register for the next meeting, visit out Future Events page.
For More Information
If you have questions about membership, email